The pursuit of happiness... Figuring out LIFE and embracing it as it comes.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

The year it was (Part 2)

Come 1st June 2007 (yes, exactly mid of 2007), I experienced a major transition in my life. From a student, I stepped into the-great-big-world-out-there: the working world. The transition which I feared I would not adapt comfortably (well I've heard of so many stories of working people), came surprisingly easy to me. Not to mention the HUGE turnabout, more like 180 degrees turn from science field (my major was chemistry) to media and communications (my current job as a broadcast journalist).







Never has it cross my mind I would end up being a journalist because I hate to write. I however love to talk (deejay), which is why I applied to Radio24, with hopes of being an on-air talent (newsreader, anchor, etc). However God had other plans for me, a training ground perhaps, to teach me and mature me. So instead of being a Radio News Anchor, I'm a BJ (no, not DJ mind you, it's BJ: Broadcast Journalist). Not that I'm complaining. I do like my job. Very much indeed. My boss and colleagues are also very nice. Although I'm the only Chinese reporter there, we get along quite well I would say. As long as they are not racist towards me, then I'm fine. But so far it's been good. My boss, Pak Openg is the nicest boss ever! He's very fatherly and also very humble. The newly-elected-director, Mr.Raffie is well... like "The Godfather". But I ain't afraid. Several times I debated with him, but we're cool. He calls me his favourite BJ. Yeah right.






Being a journalist is truly an enriching experience. I'm happy with what I can do with my job. I get to meet people of probably ALL walks of life, from high end datuks, datins and ministers to under privelleged people such as disables and orphans. Hearing what they have to say and listening to their stories has always been a joy to me. Besides that we also get vip treatment (sometimes) during functions. Basically they feed and treat you good so that you'll put a good word for them.



Being a jounalist is also a very humbling experience for me. There's just so many thing that I don't know. And probably ignorant and not bothered to know before this. Therefore the best part of it is knowing a little bit of everything. Otherwise if I were to stay on as a chemist, chemistry is all I will face everyday and know for the rest of my life! Sad isn't it? Now I'm being served with appetiser, main courses and desserts of what the world out there has to offer! Yummy!





However what sadden me recently is my fellow journalist friends who have recently left the company for their own reasons. That's because we've started this journey together and there has been so many memories of us together. Memories of being a journalist. Anyways I won't forget you guys and wish you the best in your future undertakings!







The end of Part 2 "The year it was: 2007".

No comments: