The pursuit of happiness... Figuring out LIFE and embracing it as it comes.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

A walk down memory lane: Campus life: Part 1


When asked what is the most memorable experience in life, I would say campus life! Now that my campus life has come to an end (gosh,can't believe it's over, time really flies..), and a new transition in life i.e, the working world, I'd like to take a moment to reflect on my 3 amazing years in UPM and hopefully cherish till I die (wah,sounds so morbid). Sheesh.
So anyway, here goes...

3 years.
Of my life.
My campus life.
Simply loved it!
Well the truth is, that wasn't exactly on my mind during my 1st year as a freshman. My 1st year was tough. I guess I took that long to adapt myself to "campus life". 1 year man, can you believe it?? My campus life was filled with ups and down, well more of downs during my 1st year. I hated campus life then, I hated my college where I was staying, I hated orientations, I hated my course, I hated everything and I just wanted to go home where everthing is safe and sound and where comfort surrounds me. Let's just say home is my comfort zone. It is still now. Ahh.. home sweet home =) So, during my 1st year, every single week without fail I would go back home, not that it's that far anyway, ala Klang je.


I was the president of PBSM back then; Persatuan Balik Setiap Minggu (PBSM). At that moment, I was a victim of circumstances: I had family crisis back home and I had to adapt to uni life, which was very very new to me. So there was this 2 strong waves coming at my way, and it came crashing down on me. I crumbled. I always thought I would adapt well in a new environment, as compared to my other friend who has never left home, leaving for university same time as me, she actually did better than me. Well teory proven wrong. The cheerful girl who I was, with great charisma, with many friends and who's happy-go-lucky back in school suddenly became a recluse. I cried a lot too.. Especially in my first few weeks, in the shower. I just felt so alone and depressed. Every morning I pleaded to God to give me the strength to go on. Imagine every week I go to campus, facing all things new and going back home in the weekends facing all things bitter. And it hurts. It really hurt. Not helping was my inability to converse in Mandarin. Yeap, I am what people call a BANANA. Yellow in the outside, white in the inside. So I didn't speak much, so much so people think I'm stuck up which actually I'm not. I hated my course too: Chemistry till the extend to wanting to change course. Every day, I asked myself, "What am I doing here?", "What on earth is the lecturer saying?" It was as if he was speaking in a alien language which I could not understand. It was that bad. And I just couldn't help imagining "What if I was studying mass comm instead of Chemistry, it'll be much more fun and I know for sure I will do well in all the subjects". What if... So I thought.


Well my 1st year wasn't all that bad la.


I just kept holding on to God, knowing that He has a plan for me and He will guide me through. Ever since day 1, my mission in campus was: I'm here to learn, NOT to study. Haha, maybe it's also a lame excuse because can't get good grades either. Haha, no really, I was there to learn, from experience. Campus life experience. My 1st mission is to explore and find out what interest me the most. Where does my passion lies? What can I learn from campus life has to offer?



Thank God, I finally found my family in campus, in Christian Fellowship, in Ikatan Kristian, IK. A place where I felt belong.. Our cell group, Rose of Sharon, just felt so right. There was such great bond and so much laughter (non-stop) and they had been my support group since then. Till now we're still such great friends. Thank you for all the great times we had together, cracking jokes, fellowshiping, makan-ing, and encouraging one another. Weng Yan, Ai Lyn, Michelle, and Caroline, you guys are like my sisters, I'll never forget you! When everything around me felt so wrong, CG was the only thing that felt soooooo right =)




I started to find other things that makes me feel good. No, not drugs. In my struggle to keep my head up in the waves of Chemistry which I soooo do not like (yuck!), suddenly it was as if it was a sign from God. I saw an advertisement stuck somewhere, where I don't usually pass by,and it says "Audition for DJ in Putra FM" and the closing date was the day after tommorow. I only had tommorow to audition. The moment I saw the ad, I told myself, I have to do this! I just have to. I must. And from that moment, the rest is history. A good one. I found my passion, in dj-ying. I had slots every week. I did English segments, talking, went on air, played songs and music which I love, learning all the buttons and feddles. So it was something I look forward to every week. We were even treated to a retreat/camp. I was thinking: free trip. Yay! Never will I forget also are my fellow djs and senior djs who partnered with me, teached me and guided me. Thanks to Victor who was my sifu, Ezone (annoying cos people thinks he's hot and he thinks he's hot. Haha) Neverthelest, he's my dj partner and happen to be also my labmate when came 3rd year. Maybe he digs me. Haha perasan, who am I kidding??


Sigh 1 year dj experience in Putra FM...

I just love very moment of it =)
For the record, I only dj-ed in my 1st year, and 1 more semester during my early 2nd year. Due to political reasons. Haha. It was time to try new things.


FYI: Me thinks it was probably my experience as a dj in Putra FM that got me the job now, in an upcoming news radio station (stay tuned!). Good Lord, now everyone at work calls me Sunshine (which was also my dj name: DJ Sunshine).


Aiyo..



*to be continued...*

2 comments:

cheryl said...

aiyoyo... mane gua punye photo??
sedih pilu...
masa2 kita luang bersama dulu...
yang manis mahukan yang pahit...
satiap detik kita bersama... SANGGUPKAH ko berbuat demikian!!!
hancur berderai hatiku... ;'(

Sunshine said...

Aiyoyo adik cheryl nie... Sabar le, aku baru kat Campus Life: Part 1. Masa tu aku belum jumpa kau la.. You masih buat Form 6 tau! Haha, sabar yea? Part 21: Cheryl aka "my partner in crime", a special tribute to you ok? Hehe. Thanks for dropping by =)