The pursuit of happiness... Figuring out LIFE and embracing it as it comes.

Monday, September 10, 2007

Tell me WHY?

I always ask WHY. Well why not? The scientist in me always asks WHY and HOW. Sometimes I ask too much and more often than not, the wrong/stupid question. Note to self: ask stupid questions, and you will get stupid answers, or feel even stupid-er afterwards. Sometimes I ask too straight forward that it seems like I'm questioning one's authority. But that was not my intention. I asked so that I can see the rational behind it and someday I can make wise decisions like you.


Why is the sky blue?


Transmitted light (from the sun, light bulbs, fire, etc) is made up of a spectrum of colors. The longest wavelengths of light are on the red end of the spectrum and the shortest wavelengths are on the blue/violet end of the spectrum.

When transmitted light such as sunlight enters our atmosphere it collides with the oxygen and nitrogen atoms. The color with the shorter wavelength is scattered more by this collision. Because violet and blue are the shortest wavelengths the sky appears to be violet / blue. But because our eyes are more sensitive to blue light than they are violet light, we perceive the sky as blue.



Our eyes contain thousand of rods and cones, which are the receptors for light. Whenever one of the 3 Stooges pokes you in the eye you see a giant blue spot. This is because the blue receptors have been activated. Blue is one of the primary colors and thus more easily activated and seen by our eyes.


Blue is also what I feel when my boss marah me. It is also what I feel when I don't live up to my own expectation. Blue is current colour of my room curtain. Blue is usually my least favoured colour as it seems tad boring to me. Blue is the most least of what makes up my closet. But then again, blue is the colour of the sea (I love beaches!) and blue is usually associated with BOYS. Like boys are blue, girls are pink. And blue looks good on boys. Especially if he has baby blue eyes. So the colours isn't that bad after all.


Why is the sky blue: Summary
So, why is the sky blue? It is because blue light from the sun strikes the air molecules and scatters and our eyes perceive it as blue.


Why is the sky blue: Short Summary
Why is the sky blue, you ask? Blue in sunlight collides with air molecules and our eyes see it as blue.

Why is the sky blue: Condensed
Sunlight collides with air, scatters blue wavelengths.


Why is the sky blue: Ultra-Condensed.
You are seeing things. Stop asking.
Last question WHY: Why is the SEA blue?
The sea reflects the sky.

No comments: